Friday, March 27, 2009

Freezing temps and new realizations

The nighttime temperatures dipped to below freezing this past weekend, so we had to do something with our plants to make sure they didn't freeze. We were going to bring them inside, but decided to put them in a couple of insulated sheds that we have on either side of the balcony instead. Both have lights, so we left them on for warmth and light. Unfortunately, they were "regular" light bulbs, so they didn't provide much in the way of nutrition for the plants, but we figured they would be okay for a short time. I also thought (hoped) this would prevent them from getting too used to being inside. You know, a tough love sort of thing ;-) It seems they have all weathered the storm, but as with all things green, only time will tell. Here are the latest pics.

Here are the geranium and bachelor's buttons in their temporary home in the north shed (I know, it's a mess).











From front are flowing petunias that I got to put in the wall planters we got (see next pic), Asian poppies, and purple coneflower.











These planters were acquired last weekend at a Mexican talavera shop just north of Taos. They gave me a "deal," but I probably still paid too much. Anyway, they are pretty and rustic, just the look I'm going for on my balcony. (side note: the paneling is a bit hideous, I know, but the petunias will block it out soon enough :)

On the other hand, this was a SCORE from Jericho Nursery on 2nd and Paseo. It was on their "Let's Make a Deal Table" and I got it for $5. I didn't want something all shiny and perfect and this fit the bill very well :)




All the other assorted flowers and herbs from the north side of the balcony amongst Josh's Big Blue Box, assorted Christmas decorations, and boxes of beer bottles.





The herbs from the south end of the balcony in the south shed. These are more resilient and I am pretty sure they will make it.






After going through all this work, I realized with the right light setup, we could totally set up a mini grow house (no, not for pot) in one of the sheds. We could get a long table and some lights as described in You Grow Girl (an awesome book for the modern, urban female gardener!) and voila! We could have plants all year :) Let's see if Josh goes for it...

No comments:

Post a Comment